Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:31:28 +0200
From: Karsten W. Rohrbach <karsten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jim Arnold <jim@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freebsd-security@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Nimda-A Worm/Virus threatens networks

Jim Arnold(jim@xxxxxxxx)@2001.09.18 14:21:50 +0000:
> i am running an apache server on linux. how do i stop it from gobbling
> all my bandwidth? i'm being hit by dozens of different servers.

you might configure your 404 error handler to spit out a very small
file (for example containing just one space character '%20').

mod_throttle or other bandwidth control tools will not help, since the
worm hits each server it scan with a list of several uris and that's
pretty it.

if the worm catches a 404 http error it will cease scanning this
particular system. bad, that it does not honor redirect requests ;-)

/k